Friday 19 September 2014

One more day in Slovenia........

Well we decided to stay for another day, so after a few chores (cleaning mainly!) we headed into Kobarid town to the WW1 war museum

What was really good about the museum was that all the displays had explanations in 4 languages including English, so we could really understand what the exhibitions were all about. The massive battle here in Kobarid was between the Italians and the Austria/Hungarians and was fought in the mountains, it must have been incredibly tough on both sides especially during the bitterly cold winters.
By the end of the war neither side had won the battle, what a terrible waste of so many young lives.

After lunch we decided to try some local food - goulash with dumplings, which was delicious and very filling.

Sitting in the restaurant it was surprising that the Slovenians speak to each other in Slovenian and English, switching easily between the two languages, I can't say I have ever heard that in any of the countries we have visited. We certainly haven't had any language problems because everyone speaks English so well.
We needed to walk off the lunch so we wandered along the river again before heading back to the campsite for a cup of tea.
We have been pleasantly surprised that Slovenia has a lot to offer the tourist and we will come back again for more hiking, cycling and maybe kayaking!!!
Tomorrow we leave for Croatia and the island of Krk, the next campsite doesn't have free wifi so it might be a few days before I'm back blogging again, but I'll be back just as soon as I can!
It's lovely to know that you are reading our travelling tales, the host site for my blog tells me how many 'hits' I'm getting each day, I just don't know who you are!!! (Apart from Mike! Thank you for your support xx)
So don't forget to let me know you've been by - just say Hi.........
Back soon xxx


1 comment:

  1. Hi Angela, enjoying your blog now I have remembered my Google password and can sign in. Hope you get sunny weather in Krk, we loved Croatia last September x

    ReplyDelete